Thursday, August 30, 2007

Week 1: Day 3

Week 1: Day 3: I Kings 19; I Chronicles 22; Acts 9 (History)

I Kings 19


Yesterday we saw God's judgement in Hosea 11. Today we're seeing destruction, but God was not in it. He was the gentle whisper. When the Israelites DESERVED God's judgment, God was instead the gentle whisper. God was giving them (mainly Elijah) a second chance to answer his question of "What are you doing here?" Elijah didn't change his answer though - did he not realize what he had just seen? God instructs him to go back. God is going to give Elijah exactly what he needs--HELP. He's giving him Elisha. God is once again protecting Israel by keeping a remnant who still love Him and have not bowed to Baal nor kissed him.

I Chronicles 22


Once again we see God using details, providing everything Solomon and the Israelites would need to construct the temple. I love that Israel was given a break--a rest. After all the wars and battles under David's rule-God gives David Solomon who becomes a man of rest. He gives Israel a time to rebuild and renew their covenant w/God. It's an ebb and flow that I see in my own life. A roller coaster of highs and lows. I don't necessarily love God LESS on the lows, but He definitely uses these times for renewal and rebuilding to the point I end up loving Him more and more.

Acts 9


How comforting is it to know that Jesus feels persecuted when we are? I love the story of Saul's conversion. I love that God can turn the hearts of those who hate Him. I can't understand why anyone would feel they're not worthy of God's love after hearing about Saul. I also love that during a time of rest (v. 31) and peace the church continued to grow and that the Holy Spirit was so evident in every congregation.

No comments: