Thursday, August 30, 2007

Week 1; Day 2

Day 2: Psalm 84; Hosea 11; Exodus 15:1-18 (Poetry)

Psalm 84

"For a day in your courts is better than a thousand outside.
I would rather stand at the threshold of the house of my God
Than dwell in the tents of the wicked." (Vs. 10)


WOW! I picture myself standing at the gate of this beautiful, luxurious home and never growing tired of what I am seeing. All the while never wanting to go back to the shabby tent that I thought I was so happy in. Once I saw this home I no longer wanted anything to do with my tent. What an allegory. Once I saw this life that God could offer me, I no longer wanted to live the life the world had to offer.

Hosea 11

Ouch. Makes you want to think twice before making God angry. I love how God told us early in the chapter how much loved and took care of Israel and Ephraim. Then there is this flip. God goes from being the loving, doting Father God to the disciplining (yet still loving mind you) Father God. God disciplines us BECAUSE He loves us and wants us to turn back to Him and trust Him. I don't think I ever truly understand the love behind discipline before I had my own children. I mean, I know my parents tried to protect me from things because they loved me and didn't want to see me hurt, but I never truly UNDERSTOOD the love behind that protection.

Exodus 15:1-18


Hmmm...makes you wonder why the Israelites didn't continue singing this song later on. If they had continued to praise Him maybe they would have avoided the wrath we read in Hosea. Makes me rethink MY prayers. How often do I grumble and complain that things aren't going well only to forget to thank and praise God for all He's already done for me. Makes me look like the bratty child that I am.

No comments: