Friday, May 05, 2006

Kids Say the Darndest Things Part I

Kids Say the Darndest Things Part I (Cause I KNOW there will be more)

About a year and a half ago my hubby and I decided that it would no longer work for me to be home with our kids and that it was time for me to go back to work. The boys were placed in a day care which was so wonderful I can't BEGIN to tell you how much we and they loved it there. One day after they had been going to this day care for about a month, my oldest son came home and said the "F" word...I GASPED...WHA????? What did HE JUST SAY!?!?!?!?!? You see my husband was a youth minister at the time and all I could think of was that my darling little boy who was only 3 at the time would eventually be using this word all the time, because that is how he uses his words...he learns a new one and makes sure EVERYONE knows the new word!

I was fit to be tied...In the two minutes that followed this incident, I had decided that yes we should wash out his mouth, we should DEFINITELY tell him NOT to EVER say that word again, I was quitting my job to return home, I was going to call the director the next day and SOMEONE was going to get fired...sigh...yes, I may have overreacted...but just a little ; )

My hubby calmed me down and convinced me to call the next morning...(BTW...he handled all discipline in this matter so that my shock and awe didn't scar him for life). So I call the director at the day care who is a lovely Christian woman. I tell her what happened and the word that so EASILY came out of my son's mouth. She laughed...What? you ask? YES! SHE LAUGHED! Ooh that fired me up! I asked her what was so funny...then she gives me an explanation...

"You see, we had a mom come in yesterday all flustered because she was so embarrassed over the fact that she and her husband had created a monster. You see, they taught him how to sing the Funky Chicken but he couldn't pronounce it right. Once they figured out what word he was saying, they tried to get him to STOP singing the song", but as anyone with kids knows, once you teach them a song, they sing it over and over and over...SOOOO...this kid had taught every kid in his class the Funky Chicken... The clincher was that I was the third mom to call her that morning!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

heeheee, Andrew's mom, once when he said somethign he shouldn't have, went to put mustard on his tongue, but she was laughign so hard at hsi reaction to this suggestion that she just couldn't do it. Glad yours turned out to be less than you thought, heehee.